Monday, May 23, 2005

The Ultimate Matrix !

American society is no different than their meat industry. People are reared to be consumers and they are forced to spend more and more money so that corporations will get more and more profit.

When a child is born then corporate America is more jubilant than that baby’s parents. The holy union of a man and a woman is bonanza for corporations. With no investment (remember its union of man and a woman!) they (corporations) are blessed with a consumer.

I am no expert of baby need and there is more probability of me going wrong here, but somehow I feel that the child rearing is structured in such a way that a baby becomes a voracious consumer. Clothes, diapers, toys, more clothes, more diapers, diaper dispenser, (I am going to refer to it as M.C. and M.D.) tiny seating chairs, seating chairs for cars, seating chair holders for cars, M.C. and M.D. milk bottles, more toys, baby food, tonics, medicines, M.C. and M.D. Plus, mind boggling choice for each of the above product makes it impossible to avoid anything. And yes ! there is always sale There is even speculation that, with lobbying and proper advertisements the baby food industry imbibed on the young mothers that if they do not breast feed for long time then they can maintain their body figures. As the child grows, the appetite grows and reaches maximum after age of 18. (I don’t know why age 18, but 18 to 49 is most sought after age group by advertisers)

I am reiterating that I am no baby expert. And I am pretty sure that if anybody questions any of the above mentioned needs then, the argument goes like; these products are paramount for proper growth of a child. May be I am completely wrong here and making unnecessary fuss. But, I do have strange feeling about society is slowly becoming a society depicted in The Matrix – I, but corporations rather than machines taking over the world and harvesting humans for profits.

Or may be I just pessimistic, cynical, incredulous and skeptical. (I know all have same meaning but I am just giving you choice to pick!)

No comments: