Monday, August 08, 2005

Friendship Day and Me

Today is friendship day and I don’t intend to write eulogizing this day. Well! That is not a good way to start the column but I will do so in order to illustrate my acute syndrome towards these celebrations of ‘days’. I abhor these days because I somehow see this as sign of we continue to be slaves to western ideas and thoughts. I know I am touching a very sensitive subject and perhaps, opening Pandora’s Box of modernism and tradionalism. But I will persist in efforts of logically and rationally questioning the social ‘norms’.

I strongly believe that there is absolutely rubbish to celebrate these days. There is not only one Valentines Day but whole family of it. Mothers’ day, fathers’ Day, Sisters’ Day, Brothers’ Day, Friendship Day and all the B.S. I am sick of this blatant abuse of social insecurity and lack of thinking by capitalistic model. These companies like Hallmark, Archie’s, 1-800-Flowers etc constantly feeds that if we do not celebrate these days then we do not love our friends and family. And even though majority of the people know that these days are advertised by these gifts and greeting cards companies just to increase their sale, most people insist of celebrating the days because if they don’t then they are virtually outcaste from the modern, peace-loving, parent and friends loving society. Instead of encompassing everyone in love, these ‘days’ actually excludes more people. Why do I need a particular day to show my love to my parents and friends? I love them everyday and why do I need to make public spectacle of my love towards them? And, if the situation is so bad that I can tell my parents that I love you only on a particular day then Mothers’ Day and Father’s day won’t bridge the gap between me and my parents. There is no modernism here and if there is anything here then it is pure dumbness of us.

The things get nasty in India. It’s a taboo to question anything that is western. If you tried to stick to traditions or tried to improve them according to current time then you are right-wing Hindu nationalist, a communalist, and anti-western, anti-American, anti-progressive person. India has nothing to do with St. Valentine and Indian culture accords highest status to mother and father, even above god. But, young generation, (yes, my generation!) particularly in metropolitan cities go wild on Valentines Day. I am not saying they should be stopped forcefully because that won’t fit in democratic institution. And, I am not particularly against going wild either. Its just the reason behind these wild parties bothers me.

And to mention the fact, St. Valentines Day has nothing to do with St. Valentines either. (So, I am not anti-Christian either!) It is long tradition in Christianity to steal the holidays of old, non-Christian traditions, known as ‘pagan’ traditions. Thus, in Ancient Rome, February 14th was a holiday to honor Juno, Queen of the Roman Gods and Goddesses.

So much for the modernity, we are celebrating the day that was a holiday for barbaric Romans at least 2000 years ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Chinmay 'भारद्वाज' said...

To Anonymous Sir,

Thanks for the offer. But, I am completing my B.S. in Rutgers Univ. I will definitly give you call after my graduation. Thanks for the offer again. And, Thanks for reading my blog.

Best
C

One in the crowd said...

St.Valentine's Day...most people don't even know about St. Valentine...they just know about the day as Valentine's Day...who is Valentine? Their gfs or bfs...in the actual spirit of the day, u could actually celebrate love, no matter with whom...but thanks to the media and the card companies, it has become a strictly bf-gf affair...